the races begin

Last weekend SB and I were at Stanley and happened upon some dragon boat races. From the look of the boats lining the harbor and the multiples of tanned, sinewy men paddling with military precision we surmised that these were a special group of racers.  I have tried looking online for any information but have had no luck.

SB and I think that we may have been watching a fisherman association race.  The "junks" surrounding the course had that look to them.  The race boats were the traditional, wood boats and seemed to belong to the teams instead of the borrowed fiberglass boats used in the modern races.

I especially enjoyed looking at the triangular banners that were flown by each team.  I wish that I had brought something better than my phone to take the pictures.







If you have been reading this blog over the years you will know what a fan of bamboo I am.  And you will understand why I have posted these pictures.  Fabulous.



I had never set foot inside of Smugglers before.  It was an experience.  I tried not to look at the fossilized panties that were stapled to the ceiling as I enjoyed the frosty glass of Strongbow, which was the only thing keeping me from melting into a puddle in the heat.

Comments